2014 Workshop -
June 23 - 27
This was an outdoor workshop for a group of 7 Students
We painted the beautiful scenery of Rockport, MA. We drew and painted en plain air, visited galleries, and had much discussion on art techniques and composition.
- Arrive on June 23rd and gather in the afternoon to review plans, and sketch near the seaport.
- On Tuesday we met just after breakfast, drove to Halibut Point State Park and Painted scenes of our choice
from the beautiful water filled quarry to the beach.
- On Wednesday we painted the well known scenes of the waterfront that are so popular with artists.
- On Thursday the painting site was Wingaersheek beach, with it's lovely rocky waterscape.
- Friday morning, June 27 we met to sum up our workshop, did some last minute sketching and had free time in the morning to enjoy the village before departure around lunchtime.
- Each evening there was be an art discussion and critique after dinner.
In my workshops, want more free time, take it when you need it other that when there
are planned technique demonstrations and classes. More advanced participants,
skip instructional discussions if you'd rather have more personal
New to watercolor and outdoor (plain air) painting, Elizabeth will
provide needed instruction according to your level. Beginners are
always welcome, just be certain to come with good materials from
the attached list. You may paint in media other than watercolor.
How does the day work?
Breakfast on your own if as most prefer, with the group - it is a good time to make final plans for the day.
Go to day's location.
- Instructed technique / composition session with Elizabeth Greaf before you unpack.
- Locate your painting site and plan for your work that day.
- Elizabeth may start a demonstration painting if it will help with instruction and if she has time to paint depending on participants locations and needs.
- Elizabeth visits the painters several times throughout the day to help plan the painting, provide suggestions, critique, etc. as needed.
- Take a break for lunch on your own or with other members of the group
- We continue to work into the afternoon and take a break for a couple hours before dinner.
- We may take time off to tour local galleries if this needs to be done during the day.